RECIPE: poached egg on avocado bread.
I am currently going through a slight poached-egg-craze. If you follow me on Snapchat (@vickyheiler), you’ve probably seen me have the same meal over and over again: poached egg on avocado bread. Funny enough, I am usually not that crazy about eggs. I like an occasional omelette or healthy scramble for breakfast, but hardboiled eggs definitely aren’t my thing – not even on Easter! So what makes poached eggs different? I have no idea! Either way the combination of a perfectly cooked (healthy) egg on a whole wheat bread with ripe avocado, some fleur de sel and black pepper, a pinch of cayenne pepper and a few drops of olive oil is heavenly. Not to mention it’ll keep you full for a while and provides a great start to your day. I recently did a mini step-by-step tutorial of how I like to make my poached egg on avocado bread on snapchat, but I figured not all of you are following me on there yet or may have missed it, so here it goes again.
- Bring a small pot with water to a boil. The water is not supposed to be boiling, but I always bring it to a quick boil first and then turn it down.
- In a small bowl, prepare your cold egg straight from the fridge.
- After turning down the water, take a spoon and swirl it around int he pot to create a whirl. It is easiest when making small circles towards the center of the pot.
- Drop your egg right in the middle of the whirl.
- Cook for 4 minutes. In the meantime prepare a slice of whole wheat bread (or toast if you prefer) with some ripe avocado, salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Once the egg is done, lift out of the water, pat dry with a paper towel and place on avocado. Season with a pinch of cayenne pepper – enjoy!